The mid-range smartphones Samsung Galaxy A90, A70, A50, A30 all have a magnetic sensor integrated as hardware. With this sensor, it is possible to detect the magnetic field direction of the earth, which makes this type of sensor ideal to use a compass function on the smartphone.
However, the earth's magnetic field is very weak and so external influences, such as magnetic locks, can cause the compass to no longer show the correct cardinal point within an app such as Google Maps.
The only option that remains is to calibrate the sensor. Below we explain how to calibrate the magnetic sensor of the Samsung Galaxy A90, A70, A50, A30 so that the compass shows the right direction again.
Here are the following methods to choose from:
Method 1: Perform compass calibration on the Samsung Galaxy A90, A70, A50, A30
1. When you are on the home screen, open the phone app
2. Switch to the numeric keypad for manual entry of numbers.
3. Enter the following code next:
You will now see the service menu of the smartphone, which provides different tests via various tiles.
4. Select the "Sensor" field
Scroll down to "Magnetic Sensor". You will see a circle with a line and a number behind it. It has the following meaning:
- Circle - Red line with a 0 = The compass sensor must be calibrated
- Circle - Blue line with a 3 = The magnetic sensor is calibrated
Now, to calibrate the compass, the smartphone rotates once around all three of its axes and swivels the device in the shape of a horizontal eight in front of you. Do this until the circle shows a blue line and a 3.
Method 2: Calibrating the compass
1. Open the "Google Maps" app on your smartphone
2. Activate the location information (GPS) so that you yourself are shown as a blue point on the Google Maps map
3. Select yourself (blue point) on the map
4. The button "Calibrate compass" will appear, click on it.
5. Here you will see a popup window that shows you the compass accuracy.
6. If "LOW" is displayed there in red color, you will see the smartphone swing in the shape of an eight.
7. Repeat the process until the status is set to "HIGH".
You now know how to calibrate the compass or magnetic sensor of the Samsung Galaxy A90, A70, A50, A30 so that it shows the correct compass direction again.